Here we discuss how you can start a landscaping business in Florida and start your first business without any hassle.
Taking care of lawns, plants and trees is an approach that requires vocation, experience, and the right hands. Similarly, many indoor and outdoor garden owners don’t have the time, energy, or knowledge to do so. It is then when a gardening business becomes the ideal alternative to respond to these needs. Well, the services covered by this activity are in high demand in the public and private sectors.
And it is because factors such as the correct handling of tools and physical and environmental conditions make specialization in this type of service necessary. Therefore, today we will talk about the steps to create a gardening company, detailing the key elements to take into account during the entrepreneurship process.
Is it profitable to start a landscaping business?
One of the main advantages of a landscaping business is that it offers specialized services in a variety of open and closed spaces. Whose owners are willing to invest high amounts in the design, adaptation, and maintenance of all the natural elements present there. Either for aesthetics, taste, food, or commercial interests.
Additionally, landscaping services require multiple physical and creative skills. In addition to experience and precise handling of tools and equipment. Therefore, this sector has shown significant growth. And it widens the offer thanks to the specialization of professionals and gardening technology.
Likewise, these businesses present a positive behavior in the market, as shown by figures from the DBK Sectorial Observatory of Florida. Well, in the country, gardening companies have a turnover of around 900 million euros. Being mostly small businesses.
How to start a landscaping business?
Now that there is no doubt about the viability of this type of undertaking, it is time to get down to business. Well, we will see 8 steps that will explain how to start a gardening business. We will talk in detail about your planning, services, equipment, procedures, among other factors. Let us begin!
1. Gardening business plan
The first step is to draw up a business plan in which all the actions for the start-up of the venture are recorded and organized. As well as for its management, administration and the fulfillment of the objectives. To do this, the following elements must be included in the document:
- Description of the business idea: It is necessary to detail the most relevant aspects of the company. That is, characteristics, activity, and services that it offers to obtain an overview. As well as to define more accurately the focus of the gardening business.
- Market research: Here a deep study of the market and its dynamics is carried out. To plan strategies and identify opportunities and threats. In addition, it is necessary to analyze consumers taking into account characteristics such as age, gender, occupation, purchasing habits, etc. And thus to establish the profile of the ideal client or «buyer persona».
- Marketing plan: Includes promotion strategies in traditional and digital media. In the same way, the marketing objectives, communication channels, and implementation budget are defined there.
- Financial evaluation: Here the initial investment budget for the start-up of the business is specified. Also, fixed operating costs are projected and profitability, economic viability, and expected profits are estimated.
As part of planning to open a landscaping business, it is necessary to define the services that will be offered. Since the specialties in this work are diverse and cover a large number of activities. In fact, thanks to new market trends and technology, other gardening formats have appeared.
Therefore, in addition to offering classic solutions, it is important to incorporate these innovations into the business portfolio. Next, we will see the main services offered in a gardening company:
- Garden decoration and design
- Maintenance of gardens and green areas
- Tree pruning, arching, and felling
- Vertical gardens
- Waterproofing in gardens, terraces, and exteriors
- Sale of shrubs and plants
- Pest spraying
- Installation of irrigation systems
- Sale of flower pots
- Green roofs and wall gardens
3. Tools and equipment
At this point, you must be wondering what it takes to create a landscaping business? Well, to operate the business you must acquire machinery and basic tools such as:
- Grass cutting machine
- Pruning tools: blades, yoyo, scissors, etc.
- Brooms and rake
- Scissors kit
- Manual digging kit: shovel, pick, hoe, etc.
- Tree cutter
- Watering cans and irrigation equipment
- Seeder and fertilizer spreader
- Harnesses and ropes
- Fertilizers, seeds, substrates, and fertilizers
- Boots, face shields, and goggles
Also, you must have a vehicle to transport the equipment to the place where the work is carried out. Since this business works 100% at home.
If you are thinking about gardening business ideas, you must be clear if you want your company to have a local. Well, we know that the services offered by these companies are provided at home. Therefore, it is not strictly necessary to have a physical office or branch to serve customers. In fact, you can manage communication through digital channels such as social networks, a website, email, and instant messaging apps.
Also, it is possible to have a physical location where people can quote and schedule the service. In this sense, make sure you choose a safe, accessible place that is close to strategic areas. Such as shopping malls, colleges, universities, office complexes, parks, etc.
In the same way, keep in mind that setting up a place for your business implies a greater investment. Because you will have to incur rental expenses, adaptation, furniture, among others.
You may be interested in:
- 31 Innovative Business Ideas in the USA for Profitable Startup
- 20 Profitable Winter Business Ideas in India for Your Startup
If you want to work with different specialties in your gardening business, you must train personnel. Initially, 3 people will be enough to perform the basic and most demanded tasks in the market. Therefore, be sure to incorporate the following charges:
- Gardener: In charge of planting, irrigation, and other functions related to garden maintenance.
- Landscaper: This is the professional in charge of interior and exterior garden design.
- Pruner: Person specifically in charge of pruning and cleaning trees, plants, and flowers.
6. Legal procedures
Legally establishing the landscaping business is a very important step in the process. This will ensure smooth operation and provide credibility to customers. Even so, the procedures and requirements to legalize a company vary depending on the laws of each country.
Therefore, it is important to seek advice from the agencies and institutions that regulate the registration of new businesses. In many cases, these are usually city councils, chambers of commerce, ministries, among others.
However, there are a series of common aspects and procedures that must be taken into account when creating a gardening company, among them we have:
- Choose a legal structure: Either as a natural person or as a legal person. The first refers to sole proprietorships and the second includes all types of companies.
- Prepare the statutes and/or articles of incorporation: It is the documentation that contains the number of partners, their responsibilities, and contributions. As well as the economic activity, location, and legal representative of the business.
- Register the business name: First you must verify that the name of the business is available and then pay the corresponding value for its registration.
- Registration in the Mercantile Registry: It is carried out so that the business can carry out its activity and publicly prove that it is an active commercial establishment.
- Process licenses and permits: Every gardening business must have an activity and opening license to validate that it is suitable to operate. Also, it is necessary to have land use permits. These licenses and permits depending on whether the company will have premises or will only work at home.
7. Marketing and promotion
Finally, your landscaping business should implement the marketing plan developed at the beginning of the process. Which should specify all the strategies and techniques that may be implemented to promote the business. As well as incentivize sales and attract the attention of the audience. Consequently, it is possible to include traditional marketing actions and digital marketing such as:
- Radio spots and TV commercials
- ATL Advertising
- Brand activations
- Ads on social media
- SEO and SEM
- Email marketing
- Contents on the website
- Video marketing
Keep in mind that the marketing plan must be based on market research, obtain effective results based on real data. In addition, it is essential to execute it before, during, and after the launch of the business. In the same way, update it from time to time and optimize it based on the results obtained.
You may be interested: How to Start a Dance Academy: Guide to Start This Business Successfully
We have reached the end of this guide on how to start a landscaping business. There is no doubt that with the knowledge, skills, entrepreneurial spirit, and proper planning, this can be a highly viable business. Also, that your investment is relatively low compared to other ventures. Because it is not necessary to have a physical location.
Likewise, let us not forget that it is a specialized sector where services are very well paid and demand is projected to grow.